Thursday 18 May 2017

Kypris Moonlight catalyst review

I've always had one problem with my skin and that is my uneven texture. When my skin is dried out it can look and feel like sandpaper. I've been a huge fan of acid exfoliation for a long time but I wanted to see if there was something less harsh out there: and that is how I discovered the wonderful Kypris Moonlight Catalyst.

First of all can we talk about the packaging, the beautiful blue bottle with an all most 'hippy' design almost diverts your attention away from the product inside, however the moonlight catalyst has nothing to hide because it is fantastic.



Ingredients list:

Water/Aqua, Glycerin, Lactobacillus/Pumpkin Fruit Ferment Filtrate (the answer to all my problems!), Xylitylglucoside (a precursor for hyaluronic acid), Sclerotium Gum, Algae (to help with hydration), Anhydroxylitol, Xylitol, sh-Oligopeptide-1 (EGF),  Prunus Persica (Peach) Fruit Extract (effective hydrator), Rosa Canina (Rosehip) Flower Extract, Vigna Aconitifolia Seed Extract, Hippophae Rhamnoides (Sea Buckthorn) Extract (oil ingredient to nourish skin), Prunus Domestica (Plum) Fruit Extract, Salix Alba (Willow) Bark Extract (calming agent - think aspirin is derived from willow bark), Citrus Aurantium Amara (Bitter Orange) Flower Water Extract, Hydrolyzed Fucus Vesiculosus Protein, Sodium Chloride, Trehalose,  Sodium Levulinate, Maltodextrin, Leuconostoc/Radish Root Ferment Filtrate, Sodium Anisate, Sodium Citrate


Positioning itself as a herbal retinol alternative, this has a watery gel like consistency and contains fermented pumpkin enzymes (if you do not get on with fermented ingredients then this product is not for you). These enzymes (biological catalysts) are derived naturally from pumpkins and have a greater exfoliating oomph than your AHA's and BHA's but are more gentle on your skin. The enzymes soften the skin and they decrease your skins uneven texture and redness. This is something that I can really see happening on my skin, my skin looks less porous, red and looks like it has been "re-plastered"!

Sea Algae is used to deeply hydrate you skin in a way that shea butter normally would, but the main difference is that sea algae is noncomedogenic and hence will not block your pores in a way that shea butter or coconut oil would.

Excitingly moonlight catalyst also contains Xylitylglucosides these are compounds that help with the production of hyaluronic acid in our skin and as we get older we have less and less of these present in our skin so it is not only important to topically apply hyaluronic acid but to apply the precursors as well. Kypris hasn't listed where these compounds are from but they are normally derived from the sugars in wheat.



What I like

I love a good watery serum, this sinks in reassuring quickly and is not sticky. It is a different type of night time product to a retinol (moonlight catalyst is a good alternative if you are pregnant) and is different to the myriad of oils on the market. It smells wonderfully herbal and fresh (smell shouldn't come into skin care I know). I can really see a difference in my skin since I have started using this product, my skin is plumper, less red and has an ever so slightly even texture - which I'm sure with longer term use will just continue to improve! It is £74 but you get 47ml which is a very generous size in the realm of night time products and this makes it comparatively on par with the rest of it's competitors. Also there are zero filler ingredients (cough mineral oil I'm talking about you) and all the ingredients are highly effective, well sourced and harvested from women own farms (there is a huge long list of there ethical practices on there website). All the ingredients in this product are expensive and effective and  hence are worth paying for.

What I don't like

This may seem unreasonable but it is significantly cheaper in Selfridges than it is to buy from Cult Beauty. I paid £74 and it is for sale from Selfridges for £60.50... silly me just presumed that like all skin care (aside retailer promotions) that the base price of skin care is the same everywhere.

Aside from my minor grumble caused in part by my own stupidity, Kypris is a fantastic brand and the Moonlight Catalyst is a fantastic product. You can get it from Selfridges here! 

I cannot wait to try more from the range


No comments:

Post a Comment

TEMPLATE DESIGNED AND DEVELOPED BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS